By: Brian Tete
The current motion of no confidence against Prime Minister Charlot Salwi Tabimasmas has been declared by the Court to be in order and will be tabled before Parliament for discussion and voting on 4.00 pm, Tuesday 4th December in the current extraordinary sitting of the National Parliament of Vanuatu.
The reasons for the motion of no confidence against Prime Minister Salwai are as follows:
- The Prime Minister no longer has the confidence of the majority of the Members of Parliament.
- He has displayed a lack of fairness in the distribution of services to all the islands of Vanuatu;
- He has effected an increase in the Value added tax legislation not to deliver services to the needy but principally to satisfy salaries of Members of Parliament just to secure a hold on the majority.
- He has permitted stagnancy in the dealings of land in Vanuatu to the detriment of the people.
- He has been unfair in the distribution of portfolios to the detriment of the people of Vanuatu.
- He has handled the volcanic disaster with blatant disregard for the human right of the citizens of Ambae.
- He has failed miserably to deal with the situation of the former deputy Prime Minister, having been found guilty of crime, to continue to permit the said deputy Prime Minister to continue to assume public office despite the criminality attached to him thereby eroding the integrity of Government and to fail to proceed with leadership code charges thereby resulting in the State expending further monies to Mr Natuman’s benefit in relation to entitlements unwarrantably accrued.
- He has permitted the mishandling of an immediate deportation of an Indo Fijian resident resulting in the Supreme Court adjudging the operation to be illegal.
- He has yet again misused public monies diverting them towards the creation of further positions of Parliamentary Secretary purely for political purpose thereby further demeaning his office as Prime Minister and in a manner that could likely infringe upon the constitution.
- There has been a serious delay in the completion of the international airport leading to a lack of confidence in investment and tourism and the Prime Minister has neglected to properly direct the Vanuatu Project Management Unit which has caused the delay.
- He has failed to protect ni-Vanuatu jobs in areas of investments reserved for ni Vanuatu only.
- He has permitted the politicization of infrastructure by focusing not on the needs of the people but by political affiliation, in particular by diverting infrastructure development in the tune of vt 4 billion (US$40 million) to Central Pentecost alone.
- He has tarnished the reputation of the Republic of Vanuatu by engaging a special advisor on Crypto currency and block chains knowing full well that the said person is blacklisted by the World Bank.
- He has by his Minister brought the Government into direct violation of the law by permitting illegal immigrants to be granted entry permits to reside and work in Vanuatu to the detriment of the people.
- His governance has been miserable to say the least given since the beginning of his tenure to date he has yet to have his Finance Ministry audited so as give to the people an accurate quantification of his Government’s extraordinary expenditure.
- His poor attendances to the greater rural population of Vanuatu by failing to rescue them from the degrading plight of further hardship in life by failing to subsidize small farmers to alleviate them from the disaster caused by the reduction of copra prices currently facing over 80% of the population of Vanuatu.
Both the Government and the Opposition are claiming numbers and silent negotiations behind closed doors are continuing however by 4.30 pm on next Tuesday 4th of December, Parliament will decide whether the current governing coalition continues or Vanuatu will have a new Prime Minister.
Brexit debate day three in UK parliament. To read more click world-news-network.com
Pingback: Car bomb and gun attack ‘underway in Kabul’ | International Diplomacy